Friday, September 14, 2018
Sorry for the lack of club news and updates this year. As you are all aware it has been a tough year on Utah Lake with the low water and algal blooms. It is the UWSC boards opinion that the algal blooms are generally not any worse than in past years but there is just more publicity and water quality testing which is good because there is a problem. In low water years like this year algal blooms are more common but things are not as bad as the news makes it out to be. There have been members out skiing the courses this year and many times they have had the lake almost to themselves, no reports of any big algal blooms in the courses. For the current Utah Lake algal conditions go to https://deq.utah.gov/water-quality/utah-lake-jordan-river-canals-algal-bloom-monitoring-2018 and check out https://wqdatalive.com/pu
blic/669 for live Utah Lake water quality data including water temperature.
Saturday the 15th is the clubs Adopt-A-Park service project day, will be picking up garbage around the marina. This will be a very casual event with no club person in charge, come at 10am if possible but anytime during the day that is convenient is fine. Pick up a garbage bag at the entry booth then work for as long as you want and report your hours to the person at the booth on your way out. If you do attend please send a email to email@example.com and the club will Venmo you $20 for you time.
Happy Skiing to those that are able to make it out. If your looking for people or places to ski with post on https://www.facebook.com/groups/utahwaterski and often those members that are owners one some of the private lakes will get you out skiing.
Link http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_Promo&postid=46596 to Scot Chipman's 2018 Malibu Response TXi that is for sale, available in October.
Scot joined the Malibu promo team this year and will be getting a new boat every year he continues in the program. He is asking $63,900 for it but may be willing to go a little lower, call/text him at (801) 368-2981 for more information or if you are interested in picking the colors for his 2019.
Friday, May 25, 2018
- Utah Lake State Park is now open with extended ramps and a dredged harbor. Live cam is back up and running at this link https://video.nest.com/live/wFZqex
- Course #3 is all set up, course #4 still needs some work pulling up buoys and installing extensions since it is so deep. Course #3 is skiable until the water level drops to -3.00, current lake level is right near -2.50 which can be found at http://data.cuwcd.com/data/reservoirs/index.htm#jump_public_ul For those new members there is a link on http://utahwaterski.blogspot.com/p/club-rules-course-maintenance.html that has driving directions to course #3 by boat which is just south of the main entrance into Provo Bay, course #4 is right in the entrance to Provo Bay.
- Thanks to Paul Hillyard, Don Trop, Scot Chipman, Ryan Christopher, Tom Larsen, Scotty Davis, Dave Groesbeck, Abby Zimmerann, RoquesAnn Fillerup, Rob Davidson, David Posey, Don Harline, Martin Moreno, Nate Allen and Garn Arnold for coming out to the successful buoy and course set-up instruction and lunch on the 19th.
- Live Utah Lake water quality data including water temperature at this link https://wqdatalive.com/public/669
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
The club is not doing a spring Adopt-a-Park service project this year but instead will give on water instruction this Saturday on how to set up and install buoys out at course #3 and #4. Lunch will be provided out at the course #4 dock at noon.
The plan it to meet at either Lincoln Beach Marina (preferred) or Lindon Marina at 9:30am since Utah Lake State Park in Provo is closed until Memorial Day weekend. If you plan to attend click on https://docs.google.com/
spreadsheets/d/ 1r3nkAnIMAUjGJhY33U8ms9ljVgHji gvju09jzGhvDDc/edit?usp= sharing and fill in your name below which Marina you can meet at and how many in your group will be eating lunch. Those that can bring their boats please comment with how many more you can fit in your boat and how late you can stay out at the course. The club will pay for boat gas for those that can bring their boats and will reimburse any marina entrance fee you have to pay if you don't have a pass.
This will be a hands on and in the water instruction on how to set up and install course buoys so bring your wet/dry suits.
Link to the clubs Facebook page www.facebook.com/groups/
Tuesday, April 17, 2018
- How many dropped out? 16
- How many new members? 14
- Update the club Gmail account wait list and member list. Garn will do
- Should the club support a new course at Quail Creek. Yes
- Work with State Parks on Permission to Place Device on
Boating Waters. Scot is working on. Utah
- Should we change the Special Use Lease Agreement (SULA) with Forestry, Fire, and
Lands to include a course by Pelican
Point, remove course #2 in . Yes Provo
- Talk with Mark Parker about the Utah Water Ski Club taking over the course on
. Scot will do. Mantua
- Pull and up and fix/install course #3 and #4. Planning on may 19th in conjunction with the service project.
- Cut phragmities out of course #1. Scot will look into.
- Balance as of April 17th. $18,995.72
- Plan Adopt-a-Park service project May 19th. Paul will contact Josh Holt who is the new park manager.
- Set next board meeting in August. August 21st.
Wednesday, January 24, 2018
The Utah Water Ski Club's annual meeting/activity will be held Thursday February 8th at 6pm in one of the conference rooms at the Mountain America Expo Center (formerly South Towne Expo Center) in conjunction with the Utah Boat show. All members including family members are invited and will be given free entrance into the boat show (12 and under are FREE), a light meal will be served starting at 6:00 pm. If you would like to go into the boat show before the meeting go to the information desk/will call, they will have the club member list to verify your membership with a photo ID. Please reply back to this e-mail by February 1st and let board know if you are coming or not and how many of your family will be eating so that the board can plan the food. You can also RSVP on the club's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/
gspot.com/p/members.html. The club strongly encourages everyone to renew their membership with Venmo (preferred since no fees) or PayPal (you don't need a PayPal account and can pay with a credit card) and then just email a scanned copy or picture from your phone of the member renew application agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org If you have been in the club for 20+ years AND are 60+ years old you can renew as a emeritus member for $25.
then give the hard copy to the state park.
To help the club/Garn save time and mailing costs please renew ($125) your club membership before the annual meeting so that you can receive your club membership card (card good for discounts) and club sticker for your boat. All of the information on how to renew is posted at http://www.utahwaterski.blo
A reminder that Utah Water Ski Club members are required to be a USA Water Ski supporting ($35) members, members are no longer required to be active ($80) USA Water Ski Club members. If you are going to ski in any USA Water Ski sanctioned tournaments in 2018 including the Utah State Championships on July 21st at the beautiful Bear Hollow Lakes (free for club members) you will need to be a active USA Water Ski member for insurance reasons. Click HERE to renew your USA Water Ski membership.
Adopt-a-Park service project every year which are always held on the third Saturday in May and September. The board realizes that not everyone can attend one of the two Adopt-a-Park projects, if that is you go down on your own and ask a park ranger what you can do. When finished fill out a volunteer sheet and email a picture to email@example.com
The club is always looking for volunteers to serve on the clubs board which only meets a few times a year. If you would like to serve on the club board in 2018 email firstname.lastname@example.org, board members do not pay dues.
Tuesday, January 23, 2018
- What color membership cards? Yellow.
- Order membership cards from AlphaGraphics. Scot will order.
- Order club stickers from Signtech. Scot will order.
- Firm up with the Division of Water Quality about a 10-15 minute presentation at the annual meeting. Hank will do.
- Work with State Parks on Permission to Place Device on
Boating Waters for 2018. Hank will work on. Utah
- Volunteer for the Division of Water Quality steering committee that meets once a month. Garrett will do.
- Pay Special Use Lease Agreement (SULA) with Forestry, Fire, and
Yearly renewal fee is $450 a year, SULA good through 2026. Scot will do. State Lands
- Fix sunshade for course #3. Garn will work on.
- Cut phragmities out of course #1. Scot will talk to the state.
- Balance as of December 31st. $15,460.61
- Verify 2018 club discounts will retailers. Paul will work on.
- Email club the annual meeting notice and invite wait list members. Scot will do.
- Annual meeting will be held at 6pm on February 8th at the
- Order annual meeting food. Scot will do.
- Arrange a room for the annual meeting. Scot will do.
- Contact Radar about presentation. Scot will do.
- Print handouts for annual meeting. Scot will do.
- Set next board meeting in April. April 10th.